logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 19, 2004

The Gold Rush

As the last post was downbeat - y'know, the Gold Rush really is damn interesting.

I learnt everything in life through video games and/or TV, and so perhaps it's no surprise to discover that I first became interested in it because of this mighty Sierra game.

It was the Gold Rush that allowed me to catch out my first year History teacher. He asked us to write a story featuring an anachronism, and told us he would try to spot it. So I wrote about the Gold Rush, and said that Lincoln was President of the time. Of course, it was Polk, but I guess my first year history teacher's knowledge of American History was rather weaker than mine as a twelve year old child.

Recently, my interest has been reignited because of HW Brands' book The Age of Gold. I purchased it from Audible - a service which, incidentally, I can't recommend highly enough - and have been listening to it on my way to work (another function for the mighty iPod.)

Occasionally, I like to wonder what I would have done in a particular point in history. Would I have protested against the Vietnam War? (I hope so.) Would I have been anti-segregation? (Again, I damn well hope so.) Would I have gone to California during the Gold Rush? (Clearly not - I won't get on a plane now, so what are the chances I would have risked life and limb to get to California for a report of gold I probably wouldn't have even believed.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise