logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Friday, February 13, 2004

Jack's Back, With Added Ads

Well, "24" was great. I'd been a little nervous. I mean, a third series. You gotta be wary of decreasing quality, especially when you're a TV geek as big as me. But there was no need for concern. I really enjoyed it - perhaps even more than last season's opening episode. Poor Jack, it transpires, is a drug addict. I say "it transpires" but I'd actually known this for a while, because as soon as I heard something was up with Jack, I of course had to check out the details. Interestingly, it appears that the symptoms of drug addiction are pretty similar to that of anxiety - headaches, sweating, stomach pain, being on edge, getting angry at incompetent colleagues. So maybe my workmates are under the impression I'm a heroin addict.

I don't like Jack's new sidekick/Kim's new boyfriend Chase, by the way. Know your place, mate - you're no Bauer. Let me just mention, incidentally, that Jack looks very nice in a suit and tie.

I was surprised by Kim - I just about managed to convince myself she was competent, though when she first appeared, I was struck by how much she reminded me of a work experience student doing a stint at Daddy's office.

Anyway, it's very lovely to have it back, even if it is on the wrong night, with a logo plastered across it, and with a ridiculous amount of adverts. For any Americans reading this, you need to know that for the first two series of "24", us Brits were spoilt. It was on Sundays at 10pm, a great end to the weekend. It was also on the BBC, which meant no ads and no on screen graphics.

However, the BBC decided not to buy Series 3. So it went to Sky One, a satellite channel over here. And that means ads. Lots and lots of ads. Ads eight minutes in. And sponsorship. And that's annoying.

After "24" came "Cold Case". I decided to give it a go. I had to give up after ten minutes or so. I have decided that, unlike US viewers, I can only do one Bruckheimer Programme. Mine is "CSI". I've tried "Without a Trace", I've tried "Cold Case", but a procedural drama just ain't right without the mighty Griss.

There's another Lost in Translation t-shirt up on eBay! So there's another chance for me to lose a Lost in Translation t-shirt on eBay! Woo hoo.

Guess what I'm doing today? I'm writing profiles of England's hospitals. From their annual reports. Yup, it's as dull as it sounds. Especially since my previous task was to write profiles of England's hospital trusts.

So, in the spirit of this task, let me end this post with the Chairman's signoff from York Hospitals' annual report:

"I look forward to working with all our staff and the many local groups and individuals who help us in our work in ensuring we overcome the trials and tribulations that will inevitably arise as we continue to deliver first class care to our population."

Amen to that.

PS. The counter's broken. Knew I shouldn't have attempted a redesign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise