logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Monday, October 18, 2004

Contamination Everywhere

A cornerstone of last week's session at The Mighty Maudsley was the idea that I should deliberately "contaminate" stuff which I previously would have tried to keep "clean". It's a fully reasoned theory, and one which makes a great deal of sense, but it can be difficult to implement. I'm currently feeling a little panicky at the thought of "contamination" all over my flat. But if it works, you gotta go with it.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    Aha! I always suspected that my habit of leaving the laundry festering in the basket for six days before I got round to it was actually a Good Thing.
    It doesn't have to be "all over your flat" though does it? I mean, you're not expected to go round spraying in corners like a tomcat? Can't you just start with one small thing and work up to a bit more?
    If you look at the big picture like that, of course you're going to feel panicky, like I do when I think about going on a diet and just see a lifetime of no flapjacks stretching ahead of me like a long, barren, Golden-Syrup-free road instead of taking it one meal at a time.

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger McReadie said…

    You are of course quite right, Fizzwhizz. Little steps. The trouble is that if you contaminate one thing then soon enough everything becomes contaminated. But you have to understand that in my stupid mindset, putting a set of keys on my bed would be contaminating :)

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    But eventually it won't bother you so much. I've got a friend who's been managing OCD for years and she leads a full and happy life and no longer constantly worries whether her drink is going to fall off the table. She even shared a flat with me for a year, and I'm a slob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise