logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Ladies And Gentlemen, We Have A Subway

Well, today is turning out to be another really rather lovely day. First off, I at last get the logo working, thanks to the kind advice of Taxloss. And he and Provincial Princess Fizzwhizz have both posted positive comments about the logo, which is not only nice, but also a relief. See, I had been somewhat concerned that, what with the battle to get it up on the page, it could only come as an anti-climax. Hopefully that hasn't been the case.

Due to all currently being quite quiet on the work front, I was able to re-engage with the wonderful world of Alias. It had been a while. I'd watched only about six episodes of Season 3, and I have to admit they hadn't grabbed me in quite the same way as the other two seasons. But after a little four episode marathon this morning, my love for the show has been re-affirmed.

After watching four straight hours of Alias, I concluded maybe I should go out and, y'know, actually do something. So off I went for a little walk up to West Norwood. Maybe, just maybe, I thought, the Subway might have opened. Things were looking promising on Monday (lights on, staff being trained), so I felt optimistic. And - whaddaya know - it was open. So I grabbed my first West Norwood made footlong Vege Delite which I have just wolfed down here at home, and will soon top off the meal with an oatmeal cookie. Yum.

I have to say, the sandwich artists over in West Norwood aren't, er, all that up on the way of the Sub. They are the sandwich artist equivalent of a kid who still draws people with hands that look like spiders. I'm used to rather more skilled sandwich artists, what with my usual Subway haunts being the well-established Oxford Street branches, and the similarly well-established Croydon branch.

(They really are called sandwich artists. Check it out.)

Anyway, I strode confidently up to the counter. I know what I'm doing when it comes to a Subway sandwich. "Foot long Vege Delite on Italian", I proclaimed. The sandwich artist started explaining the types of bread - clearly she hadn't realised I was a professional sandwich eating artist.

After an eternity, she found the requested bread, and - at my request - added cheese. She also cut the sandwich badly - not requested by me.

She passed it up to the vegetable section. Now, as I said, I fancy myself as quite the expert in effective Subway-sandwich-serving. What you want is someone on the bread/cheese section, someone on the vege section, someone on the meat section, and someone to get drinks/desserts/crisps and to take your cash. West Norwood don't yet have this system sorted. My poor, under-developed sandwich sat and waited to get some vegetables, as I stood and wondered why my sandwich artist was paying more attention to cleaning the chopping board that to giving me food (I mean, I have OCD, but I'm a goddamn hungry customer. Priorities).

Eventually, after a telling off from the boss, they got their arses in gear. And I only had to repeat the four vegetables I wanted four times over! (For the record, tomato, sweetcorn, green pepper and lettuce. Also for the record, Subway have around eleven available vegetables, so Christ knows that the West Norwood sandwich artists will do when someone asks for, say, ten of those vegetables.)

I was then asked if I wanted to make it a meal. No, cos I don't like fizzy drinks. I will, however, have an oatmeal cookie if it's all the same to you. The woman looked at me as though I'd just requested a pizza, whole turkey, or some other product not produced by Subway, until I proved the availability of the cookie by pointing at it.

Needless to say, I was not overly impressed by the service, but then I felt bad for being pissed off. After all, they are new. But, still, I figure that making a sandwich - especially when there are four of you to share the responsibility - shouldn't be that tough.

No matter. They will improve. And I've got my sandwich. So whaddaya I care?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eat my cookie.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    But what you basically ended up with was a salad sandwich, was it not? For quite a large sum of money and on bread that isn't very nice? Which is my whole beef, ahahahaha, with Subway. Why not just make your own for a fraction of the price and much less sandwich artist-related stress?
    By the way I have now watched one and a half episodes of CSI so I am going to vote on the poll.

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger Taxloss said…

    CSI rocks, does it not?

    As for Subway, as the King of the Neutrals said on Futurama: "I have no strong feelings either way"

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger McReadie said…

    Well of course you're right, Fizzwhizz, but McReadie and Food Preparation tend not to go all that well together. McReadie and Takeaway Junk Food, however, go together really rather well.

    Ah ha - we have another CSI convert! Excellent! I trust you're going to vote for the lovely Gil? So far only I have, and I was really hoping for a Grissom landslide.

    Do either of you watch Without a Trace? As the weeks go by, I'm more and more impressed by it. It's sort of like CSI in as much as it's procedural drama (and it's done by some of the same behind-the-scenes people) but it manages to do the main characters' personal lives as well, and very effectively at that.

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    I can't say as I'm particularly drawn by the thought of finding out about people's personal lives in these whodunnit things. I really prefer standalone episodes where the crime is committed at the start and solved by the end -like the Bill used to do before it became a lesbian soap opera. If you remember, there would always be lots of mystery until 27 and a half minutes past eight when the chief suspect would suddenly go "oh alright then, it's a fair cop, here's how I done it guv". Very satisfying and you don't have to watch the episodes in order to work out what's going on (I am very bad at getting infront of the telly regularly so I get confused by things that have running plots of any degree of complexity).
    On the CSI poll I actually voted for the evidence because I haven't yet worked out what everyone's name is. But I thought the technology should have got a mention because it was basically the computer programs and groovy infra-red torch things that seemed to save the day in the episode I saw.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise