logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

What Would Your Mental Health Dudes Do?

Back from this week's session at The Mighty Maudsley. One of my mental healthcare dudes (the clinical psychologist) is off on holiday at the moment, so today it was just my psychiatrist.

I've had a few mental health wobbles over the past week, what with the Exeter visit and all. It was nice to be reminded that they are just that - wobbles. With a bit of effort, I think I should be able to correct 'em. And my psychiatrist shared my theories as to why the wobbles had happened - which is reassuring.

We talked about something which has held a lot of fear for me in the past - the possibility of another really bad OCD episode. My main fear has always been that it could again be as bad as last year, when I really felt unable to function.

Talking about that possibility today made me realise it's one that doesn't hold quite as much fear as it did before the sessions started. Oh, the idea that I could be that bad again is very scary. And I have to accept that this is a problem which won't ever go away. The chances are that at stressful points in my life it'll rear its butt-ugly head again. And of course at the moment I have the safety-net of therapy sessions. Eventually, that's gonna go - and that does scare me a bit.

The difference now, though, is that I feel as though I know what to do. I feel as though I've been taught the tools and techniques to confront the problem.

I told my psychiatrist that often now when I'm in a bad situation, I think to myself "What would my mental healthcare dudes do?" He said it was a good way of thinking of it, and explained that he had suggested that technique to another patient. If it in doubt as to what to do, imagine what you'd be told to do by your mental healthcare dudes. It really does help - even if you always know that what you have to do is to face the anxiety rather than avoid it.

This whole line of conversation made me think of those "WWJD" (What Would Jesus Do?) bracelets that young Christians wear.

I tell ya, I'm sorely tempted to get myself a bracelet like that, only replacing the "J" with the initials of my two mental health dudes. I think it'd make me smile, and make me think about what to do, all at the same time. And that can't be a bad thing.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    I've always thought of those WWJD bracelets as particularly pointless. I mean, in a stressful situation, the answer the question "What Would Jesus Do?" is generally bound to be something like "Turn water into wine" or "Make blind man see" or "Rise from the dead after three days" which is hardly practical advice if you don't happen to be, y'know, the Messiah and all.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Hypatia said…

    Fizzwhizz is right about the Jesus thing: what if you were being mugged at knifepoint and the only thing you could think of Jesus doing while you were being thoroughly thumped and robbed was to, like... forgive them.

    However, your mighty marvellous Maudsley dudes seem not to be Jesus and a little wristband could be cool - we could crochet one for you, and cross-stitch the details in. Fizzwhizz - get your needles out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise