logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

New Year, New TV

Traditionally, I'm not wild about the New Year. I always feel nervous about a New Year, for some reason. I find it a little unsettling to survey the past 12 months, and to look ahead to the next 12.

One thing I do enjoy about the New Year, however, is new TV. As regular readers know, going on about TV is a key aspect of Nuggets and so we may as well start this year as we mean to go on.

First up, tonight at 10pm on Channel 4 - Desperate Housewives. It's been a huge hit in the US, and I suspect it's the sort of thing which will be endlessly dissected in the press, with long discussion pieces on what it shows about contemporary women. Watch so that you can object to any outrage The Daily Mail expresses in relation to the show. I think it's gonna get a lot of publicity. Look - even BBC News Online have a piece on it.

Oh, and while we're on things which are gonna cause The Daily Mail high levels of outrage (cos, honestly, anything which causes that right wing rag anger is worth supporting, in my opinion) - our favourite psychologist illusionist is back, with Derren Brown: Messiah. This Friday, 10:35pm, Channel 4. Be sure to watch, if only so that you can enter into the frenzied debate about our buddy Mr Brown which is sure to roll around, once again, in the office on Monday morning.

A couple of repeated shows that are worth a mention. Paramount Comedy, one of my favourite stations anyway, have made me love them even more by finding room in their 2005 schedules for The Wonder Years (every day at 6pm on Paramount 2) and the first series of Scrubs (every day at 9pm on Paramount).

If the messageboards on Digitalspy are to be believed, Lost will now no longer be shown in January. Instead, it's been shifted back to the Summer. I'm disappointed if that's true, since it's the show I'm looking forward to most...

The new series of The OC is due to start at the end of the month. Say hello once more to one of TV's loveliest couples - yes, I do mean Sandy and Kirsten Cohen. Sod Summer and Seth, and definitely sod Ryan and Marissa (in fact, kill Marissa). No, best couple is obviously Sandy and Kirsten. No. Doubt. About. It.

At the end of the month on Sky One, we have 24 Day Four. Will my continuing love for Jack Bauer allow me to continue to overlook the gaping holes in plot and logic? I think we all know the answer is a resounding "yes". There's been quite the cast shakeup this season - farewell Palmer and Kim - so at least we won't have to sit there wondering how the writers are gonna get the duff characters some screen time.

With any luck, we'll also get to see the next series of Nip/Tuck round the end of this month or the beginning of the next. There's nothing like starting the New Year with puke-making scenes of fake plastic surgery, is there now?

Now I know what you're all most desperate to know is the estimated date for the return of the mighty Alias. Well, there I can't help ya. Nor can I help ya with when Arrested Development might return to our screens. Despite the assurances given to me by the Beeb that it would return in 2005, I see no mention of it on the schedules as yet.

Damn.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    Hmmmn. Yes I have persuade Prince Charming to "up our spend" (as we say in the world of business-to-business publishing) on cable TV by a whopping 400%, ostensibly so that we can watch the Barcelona-Dakar rally, the one sporting event that I actually get excited about, but actually so that I can have Paramount Comedy and E4 back again. We're supposed to be reducing the subscription back to the basic package again in a month after the rally's over, but being as I too have spotted the mighty Scrubs (finally, a bit of half-decent scheduling by the channel that seems to think all we want to watch at prime time are mind-melting Ted Danson vehicles and MASH) I might accidentally forget to change the subscription.
    Sadly I was unable to watch Desperate Housewives last night because I was at a friend's house, but I have to say I'm not too encouraged by the advertising and the trailers. It looks a bit more Footballers' Wives than SATC.

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is unfortunate how addictive Paramount and E4 become... My parents have neither, and living without them proves difficult when I go home for the holidays.

    I would advise giving Desperate Housewives a whirl - you might just be pleasantly surprised...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise