logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Rediscovering The Joys Of Working In An Office

As regular readers will know, I've been a home "worker" of late, but that's changed this week. I've started hanging out at my company's sort-of-office (don't ask) in Fulham and, I must tell you, I've been really enjoying it.

The delights of being back in an office are, as it turns out, considerable. Dying to eat lunch, but knowing that you must wait til one unless you want the afternoon to feel like it's a decade long. Asking for IT help before you've shut down the virtual poker game in which you were engaged. Wondering how long you can pretend you're working when you're in actual fact just waiting for your boss to turn up and give you your task.

Ah, I'd missed it so. I'm sure the novelty will wear off shortly.

For reasons far too complicated (and boring) to explain, the offices are actually those of a software development company, run by one of the nicest men I have ever met. In fact, I think he is the nicest man I've ever met. Yes, I'm declaring it. He is the nicest man I've ever met. Each time you think that you've got a handle on how nice he is, he does something even nicer. It's lovely.

I like all the other employees too, especially now I'm getting to know them a bit more. Courtesy of one of the team, I got to sample authentic Turkish Delight today. I must say, Turkish Delight from Turkey is much nicer than Turkish Delight from, say, Woolworths. In fact, it's totally different. It's much softer, and much less gummy, and actually tastes nice. My Turkish Colleague, bearer of the sweets, explained that you actually get different types depending on the city.

My joy at being back in an office enviroment has almost numbed the pain of having to phone every hospital to have the following "conversation":

"Hello, Hospital X".
"Hi, could you put me through to pharmacy, please?"
"Hello, Pharmacy".
"Hi, could you tell me the name of your Chief Pharmacist, please?"

And then I enter the details given onto a database. Trust me, there is a good reason for doing it. Or so I'm told...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise