logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Monday, February 07, 2005

McReadie's Televisual Schedule

I sorted out my television schedule yesterday. The early months of a new year typically bring new televisual delights, and this year has been no exception. Ensuring one gets to watch each of these delights can, however, be a challenge.

Of course, the invention of the video recorder was heralded as solving the problem of clashing programmes. And it did, for a while, until digital TV reared its head.

As regular viewers (sorry, readers) will know, I have Sky. Don't get me wrong - TV geek that I am, I love it. But it does mean that I can't watch something and tape something else at the same time.

Digital stations understand this dilemma, and so typically schedule repeats of their most popular shows so that, if you experience a clash first time round, you can watch it second time round instead. (It's also a cunning way to fill your schedule with stuff you've already shown while getting praised rather than criticised by viewers for doing so).

But when things start to get really hectic, as they do at this time of year, sometimes all the repeats in the world, and all the Channel+1s aren't any help. Sometimes watching 24 on Mondays rather than Sundays, and watching Nip/Tuck on Tuesdays rather than Sundays just won't help, because you've still got to figure out when to watch The OC and Huff.

At times like this, there is nothing to do but to sit quietly with your copy of Radio Times and to reflect quietly.

This is what I did yesterday, and I'm glad to say we have established a schedule that works.

For the record, the McReadie TV Watching Schedule for Quarter 1 2005 runs thus:

Monday
Huff - 9pm, FX289

Tuesday
CSI - 9pm, Five
The OC - 10pm, E4+1

Wednesday
Desperate Housewives (I know, Fizzwhizz, I know - but I'm sticking with it... for the moment)

Thursday
Rescue Me - 10pm, Sky One

Friday
A comfort-TV night of The Simpsons, Friends, and wondering why the Friday Night Project, such a promising concept, appears to be so shit

Saturday
Nothing on. Perhaps DVDs can help out...

Sunday
24 - 9pm, Sky One
Nip/Tuck - 10pm, Sky One
10 minute break in which to vomit over the stomach-churning plastic surgery scenes in Nip/Tuck and then... Arrested Development - 11:20pm, BBC2

For those of you facing similarly high numbers of televisual commitments and panic over clashes, I urge you to take a step back and look through the schedules and your options. The list above is proof it can be done... so long as you have no plans to leave the house for the next few months.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    Now, actually I'm still giving DH a bit of a secnod chance myself even though I slagged it off.
    At the moment work commitments are forcing me to stay weeknights with lots of friends in London and so I don't get to choose what I watch on TV, and so it was that last Wednesday I found myself settling down to watch DH with one such friend. Actually I found it quite entertaining, although not as good as SATC, and I am quite interigued to find out what's going on with the guy who owned the screwdriver. Quite.
    However, it does have the major selling point that the men in it are fit, whereas of course the major drawback of SATC was that (with the obvious exceptions of john corbett and jason lewis) the blokes were mingers.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Anonymous mcreadie said…

    Yes, the trouble is that it does hook you into watching next week's episode through its mystery-style storylines... Another US-TV addiction... Sigh...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise