logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Monday, February 14, 2005

Multiple Talents People

I have a problem with multiple talents people. I do happen to believe that everyone has a talent or two. Mine? Er, I guess I'd go with writing, worrying, and being sarcastic.

I think it's a nice aspect of humankind that each person has one thing they're good at. What I don't like is the way certain people seem to hog several different talents.

You know the type. You were at school with one of them, I bet. It's the person who came top in both English and Maths, who played for the county in at least three sports, and who had reached grade eight in both piano and flute.

Now, like I said, I like people to be good at things. But I don't like people to be good at that many things. Especially things in different categories. If you're good at sports and nothing else, good for you. If you're good at Maths and Science but shitty at arts subjects, I have no problem with that. But if you're good at absolutely everything - sports, languages, sciences, curing previously incurable diseases... Well, that pisses me off. It's just greedy.

I've noticed this is a particular problem with actors. Not content with being able to convincingly portray anyone they want to portray, they also tend to be able to sing, dance and have a glittering school/university sporting career behind them.

Proof of this comes from Kids Art Inc, which I discovered today. It's a good organisation - it sells greeting cards to raise money for kids with epilepsy. Some of the cards have been designed by actors, and they give a perfect insight into my belief that actors are just too multi-talented for my liking.

I mean, take a look at some of these cards! They're really good! If this organisation has asked me to make a card, it would have been piss bloody poor. I can't paint or draw. But these guys, already famous due to their acting prowess, are like goddamn Monets.

Check out, for example, the two cards designed by my favourite US-TV Spy Daddy Victor Garber. I mean, look at them! They're oil paintings or something! They wouldn't look out of place hanging on a wall!

I'm of course not bitter because, after all, this is the mighty Victor Garber we're talking about. And, indeed, most of the actors who've contributed to the charity are people who've been in shows I've enjoyed. So they can be forgiven.

But, honestly, explain to me how Multiple Talents are fair. They're not, I tells ya.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    but surely that's better than people who think they have multiple talents but actually don't. EG Minnie Driver.

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Anonymous McReadie said…

    Ooooo, yes, valuable point.

    It's true that, in my experience, the most talented people are actually very modest about their abilities. Those who go on about how great they are tend to have no talent at all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise