logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Monday, April 25, 2005

We're Very Much For No Pollution, And Very Much Against, Er, Pollution

Some of you may, like me, have noticed that we seem to have a General Election approaching. Thus during my little shopping trip to Croydon on Saturday, I found the high street to be occupied by people with rosettes - and, for once, they weren't advertising the newly opened Nando's. No, they were campaigning for our votes, fellow franchised.

The Tories decided to woo people with balloons. It was a risky strategy, but one which seemed to really pay off with the key under-5 non-voter demographic. Labour weren't anywhere to be seen, probably assuming that if they didn't show up, they couldn't get yelled at. The Lib Dems were being nice and Lib-Demmy - all yellow and talk of being anti-war. And then there were the Greens who, strangely, were the only ones to accost me. Obviously, I look like a scruffy liberal who likes hamsters and can't bring herself to kill beetles, and the lovely Green Party representative can see a potential Green voter when he sees one.

We had a nice little chat about how pollution was bad and trees were good, and he also mentioned he wasn't wild about war. But when I asked him about social policies - schools, for example - he seemed to panic a bit. I don't think the Greens are used to people asking them about non-green issues. And, thus, all I know about their school policies - heck, I suspect all they know about their school policies - is that they like school fields. They like Green things, you see. Like grass.

I really liked the guy I spoke to, and I agreed with him on many things, but I just found the whole thing a little amusing. Knowing that with our daft voting system they have no hope of ever being in government, it seemed to me that they hadn't really thought through the nuts and bolts of governing a country.

But they really like trees.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    yeah. although of course green parties do run very successful governments (germany, for example) our homegrown one does seem a little lacking in macro-economic vision. and that business of the Citizen's Income is just ridiculous, although Lord Benthal thinks it's a brilliant idea and expounded it to me at length the other week. Probably because he's a musician and it would mean he could sit at home playing tunes all day and not have to go and teach unpleasant teenagers how to make Blazin' Squad-style R&B in order to be able to afford to pay his mortgage.
    But don't forget the greens when it comes to local politics. they are generally very good at local issues - such as traffic, public transport and saving school fields from being sold off for development into luxury flats so that the school can afford to feed the kids at lunchtime for another 6 weeks or whatever.

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger McReadie said…

    Oh, yeah, the Citizen's Income threw me entirely. Not exactly thought through, methinks...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise