logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Friday, May 13, 2005

Arrogant Watress? You Decide.

I'll apologise right off - I suspect this post will wind up seeming like a poor Larry David impersonation, but this topic is frankly too important to not discuss on the basis of a fear of plagiarism.

So here's the deal. The Buddy and I went to Pizza Hut the other night (as you can probably tell, we're quite the food snobs - it was a toss up between there and KFC, and I seriously considered ordering jelly, a new addition to the dessert menu).

Anyway, we get the bill, and we're debating how much to leave as a tip. The Buddy declares the waitress "nice" (she was, but I think he was using the term to describe more than her politeness) and so left, frankly, a generous tip - more than the 10% that we're all told we're meant to leave.

Having concluded our monetary discussions, The Buddy wandered downstairs to the toilet while I waited at the table for his return. In this time, the waitress came up and took the tray with the money.

Now, as I say, we had left a generous tip. And she saw that I was at the table. I expected her to assume that I was waiting for change, and return to the table with this. Natually, at this point, I would have told her that I didn't want any change, and that she should keep the extra as her tip.

But - get this - she did not reapproach the table. No change was offered to me. She had clearly concluded that we were leaving a tip, and she was damn well taking it.

I have to say, I found this a little arrogant and impolite. Sure, you know it's a tip, and I know it's a tip, but be humble enough to pretend that you don't know.

Thinking about it, perhaps the denominations of the money left led her to believe that it was a tip and that we didn't want change. You know what - even so, I coulda done with the fake "is this a tip?" thing. Generally, I like people to avoid fakeness. But, in this instance, I could have done with a little fake politeness. Is that too much to ask?

3 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Jo said…

    lol, you weren't in Croydon again were you?

    I know what you mean though - I'd have been a bit cheesed off as well if the same thing happened to me. I'd probably have gone over and asked for my change even though I'd left the money as a tip originally. As a certian singer once said 'two can play that game' ;)

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger McReadie said…

    Hi Jo,

    Ha ha - no, it wasn't Croydon this time (although my brother and I are frequent diners in the Croydon Pizza Huts!) It was the one on Leicester Square...

    I'm glad you see my point :) I did consider going over and asking for the money back, but my social phobia stopped me... That, and the fact that The Buddy wouldn't have been happy with me :)

    Take care,
    McReadie

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    Yeah, she should have asked, man, that was rude. By the way - my friend Arhad says you should never leave tips in Indian restaurants because they don't go to your server, they go automatically into the till with the rest of the money. As most of his family work in the restaurant business, he should know - and I guess it's fair enough as many Indian restaurants are family businesses and therefore everything that goes in the till theoretically benefits everyone working there. But I'd be interested to know if anyone else has any information to the contrary?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise