logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Brian Wilson Concert

A great night, though two things are becoming increasingly obvious to me - I can't dance, and I can't cheer or whoop effectively. Both are problems in the concert environment.

The audience was a weird mix of genuine fans, and blokes in suits who had clearly got corporate tickets and had not the faintest idea who Brian Wilson is.

The man himself appears fragile, and I of course found it exceptionally easy to associate with his nervous behaviour. The poor guy kept checking his watch towards the end of the concert, appearing keen to get off stage. The amusing thing is that I can imagine that's exactly what I'd do were on a stage in front of hundreds of people - "OK, it's ten o'clock, I'm almost there. Shit, though, I have to do an encore. OK, so it's another fifteen minutes, and then I can go and shut myself in a room and watch TV".

I find Wilson's ability to perform despite obvious nerves to be inspiring. Heck, if he can get on a stage in front of stacks of people and sing, then I can cope with going on holiday, right?

6 Comments:

  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    Um, doesn't he get pumped up with loads of prescription drugs before he can make it onto the stage? Which is a course of action I'm sure the Mighty Maudsley wouldn't recommend you take before boarding a plane.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Taxloss said…

    Hey McReadie - I saw this and thought of you:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4620879.stm

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    Saw Brian on glastonbury TV yesterday. 'Fragile' was the word. Poor man. He really didn't look like he was enjoying himself one bit, and his voice certainly wasn't up to the harmonies and indeed the melodies. Why is he doing this to himself?Surely he can't need the money? Why doesn't he just stay at home with his piano in his sandpit and write beautiful music? His record company should be ashamed, sending a genius out on the road in that state.
    Prince Charming said it was like watching a tribute band in a pub with some old bloke singing along. Which it kind of was, being as Wilson's backing band were indeed a (very good) beach boys cover band (although admittedly the crowd propbably wouldn't have fitted in my local). And that's really sad. I actually had to stop watching halfway through.

    PS The hamster story is appalling. Who would do such a thing to a tiny bundle of fur wot's never done no one any harm?

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger McReadie said…

    You are as ever right, Ms F Whizz. I'm fairly certain that prescription medication helps our buddy Brian step up onto stage. And while I do take a little of the ol'anti obsessional medication, you're right pumping myself full of - for example - Valium would probably not be regarded as being in line with the Face-The-Fear-Drop-The-Safety-Nets philosophy.

    Dammit - I wanted to see him at Glastonbury, and had been thinking that the BBC's "press the red button" functionality would let me without the need to sit through hours of music that I'm not trendy enough to appreciate. I was reliably informed that pressing the red button would let me select the artist I wanted to see - including highlights from earlier in the day - but I could find no such function despite much searching last night. I hate BBCi. So much promise, and yet so piss poorly implemented.

    He did manage a few smiles the night I saw him, but you're right in saying that it does look like a battle for him to get through the sets and I understand why you felt uncomfortable and had to turn off. I like to think that he is doing it out of choice, though - facing the fear - rather than being exploited. I hope I'm not being naive in believing that.

    Oh, and his band is indeed great.

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger McReadie said…

    Taxloss! Ah, how good it is to hear from you. I miss seeing the Taxloss name in the blogosphere :)

    Nasty hamster story, though. Poor little guy. He must be suffering from severe anxiety after this. Hmmmm... the ideal hamster for me, it seems...

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    Au contraire: my friend Bessie swears by Valium every time she gets on a long-haul flight. Not because she's scared of flying, but to send her to sleep so she awakes refreshed at her destination.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise