logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Argh

It's been one of those days so far. The plan was clear. Things have been quite quiet on the work front lately, so today seemed to be a perfect day to complete the final assignment for my Open University course. It's not due until mid-September, but I'm keen to get ahead so as to allow myself as much time as possible to revise (I'm not convinced that I've taken much in actually during the course). And I'm worried about this final assignment: it's a critical evaluation of a journal article. I've never written a critical evaluation of a journal article but, reading the instructions, I saw that statistical analysis is involved, something which tends to give me a headache.

So I arose and, sure enough, buggered about for a couple of hours before getting into gear (it has to be said that I have failed to get into gear for most of this week). Nonetheless, when I finally sat down to work, I felt motivated, and optimistic that I could get this done and dusted today.

It was hard work, though. It took me quite a while just to write a 300-odd word introduction.

And then the phone rang. My boss. Giving me some more work. No worries - I can get through it all by deadline, even if I continue to spend today writing my assignment. Just had to do one thing straight away, and then I could get back to the essay.

The one thing should have taken ten minutes. It was making a small amendment to the text of a file. Thing was:

The file wouldn't open.

I don't know what the hell was wrong with it, but it resolutely refused to cooperate. An hour later, I was beginning to panic about how on earth I was going to retrive the file.

About half an hour later, I finally found a way.

That way took about another hour. I've only just completed the ten minute job I started around half eleven.

And, of course, I've made no further progress on my assignment.

And I am due to get another work-related phone call later today.

I realise I'm spoilt in being able to manage my work and my studying fairly easily but today, really, has made me want to scream.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous BB said…

    My day got stuffed up by work yesterday too. I turned up for a meeting with a person who had forgotten about it, wasn't ready and asked me to come back in two hours.
    I'll finish this comment now.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    Behind schedule? Close to deadline? Work stressful? Sounds like the perfect time to write a blog entry... hehehe

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise