logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Miers Withdraws!

Way hay! Harriet Miers, Bush's nominee for the Supreme Court has withdrawn her name from consideration.

You don't care, do you?

But I do. As most of you know, I'm a bit of an American Politics geek. And I'm particularly geeky about Supreme Court justices, mainly cos of my love for the mighty Earl Warren.

(Don't ask who he was or why I love him unless you really, really want to know. I'll launch into a whole lecture on the Mighty Earl. Let's just say that when I was considering doing a PhD, Earl and his time on the Supreme Court was a big part of it).

Now I know you don't share my enthusiasm for this sort of subject matter. And any enthusiasm Fire Blanket may once have had for US politics has almost certainly been killed by our Presidential Middle Names discussion.

But, despite all that, I invite you to rejoice at Miers' decision to drop out. Why? Well, mainly because we've been spared a Supreme Court justice so unqualified that she makes the President who nominated her look like, say, Abraham Bloody Lincoln.

Supreme Court nominees are required to fill in a questionnaire when they are nominated. It's a bit like an application form for a job, but generally considered a formality. Miers' questionnaire? Considered so incomplete as to be insulting. Praise be to The Daily Show for drawing attention to a couple of her best answers. I've reproduced 'em below, courtesy of The Washington Post, so that you too can be amused. I should perhaps point out that the woman clearly wasn't listening when her school teachers told her to always answer in a sentence.

Question: Has anyone involved in the process of selecting you as a judicial nominee (including, but not limited to anyone in the Executive Office of the President, the Justice Department, or the Senate and its staff) ever discussed with you any specific case, legal issue or question in a manner that could reasonably be interpreted as seeking any express or implied assurances concerning your position on such case, issue, or question? If so, please explain fully. Please identify each communication you had prior to the announcement of your nomination with anyone in the Executive Office of the President, the Justice Department or the Senate or its staff referring or relating to your views on any case, issue or subject that could come before the Supreme Court of the United States, state who was present or participated in such communication, and describe briefly what transpired.

Miers' Answer: No.

Question: a. Describe chronologically your law practice and legal experience after graduation from law school including...

...ii. whether you practiced alone, and if so, the addresses and dates;

Miers' Answer: No.


See? We had a narrow escape.

Also, her withdrawal is a blow to the Bush administration. And you just have to love them. Seriously, you do. There's a law here on McReadie Nuggets to that effect.

Now attention will turn to Bush's next nominee. I've got my fingers crossed for Colin Powell. But since Bush seems to like unqualified idiots, it seems more likely that he'll nominate me.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger fire blanket said…

    The first in a potentially long running series of 'Questions I Shall Regret Asking':

    No 1: Why do you love Earl Warren so much?

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger McReadie said…

    OK, see, I think you were just being nice in asking this. I'm not sure you're really prepared for my answer to this question. I'm not sure you're ready for the long, long post singing the praises of Earl.

    So I'm gonna be kind, and give you a chance to backout. Call it a cooling off period, if you will. Take a little time. Think about it. Reconsider. Let me know.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger fire blanket said…

    Bring it on, baby. I can handle it. I'm not (that) scared....

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    seriously, what is your thing with warren? As an American I can totally agree with your whole hate Miers bit and I can think of nothing better than your Bush countdown (may have to get one of those for my computer). But a full discertation about Warren is certainly warrented (I know - but it's not my fault. Have been at the library for 5 hours now and am burrned out so puns are allowed, damn it!)
    - Anonymous (from Fire Blanket's site)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise