logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Friday, October 21, 2005

Stupid People and Scientology

I try very hard to be tolerant. I like to think of myself as a live and let live kind of person. I admire Voltaire's sentiment - "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".

(Or something like that. My History teacher used to claim that phrase summed up the ethos of the Liberal Democrats. I think it's actually fair to say that it sums up the ethos of anyone who believes in democracy and free speech, but then my History teacher was, in retrospect, a bit of an idiot.)

Anyway, as I said, I do like to think I'm tolerant. But I have, with some shame, realised recently that there are two groups of people whom I cannot tolerate:

1) Scientologists
2) Stupid people

(To be clear: the two categories are far from mutually exclusive).

I've known for a long time that I can't tolerate stupidity. My English teacher from my first year of secondary school was right when she noted that I didn't tolerate fools gladly. I find it almost impossible to keep my mouth shut when someone is being openly stupid. It causes almost physical pain.

Scientology is a new category of non-tolerating for me. I'd always been a bit suspicious - it is, after all, a religion based around the writings of a goddamn science fiction writer - but with all the recent publicity because of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, my concern has grown.

My main beef is with the religion's hopelessly misguided views on psychiatry and psychology, which disturb me more each time I read about them. Today, I've uncovered a whole organisation set up simply to fight against psychiatry.

It's honestly scary. Maybe I'll set up an organisation to fight for psychiatry and psychology. I do fear, however, that were I to do so, the Scientologists might come after me. I can't help but think there's probably some kind of Scientology mafia to come and deal with non-believers. So if, in a couple of days time, my posts start talking about the abuse that is psychiatry - be suspicious. Assume the Scientology Mafia has got to me.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger VM said…

    Hi, McReadie,
    I understand where you're coming from because if what the media were saying about Scientology were true I would think it was strange too. But what is being reported is so twisted and slanted as to be completely unrecognizable. If, as you say, you are ordinarily a tolerant person, meet some Scientologists, read a Scientology book or go in to a Scientology church and find out what it is really all about. You will probably be quite surprised.

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Wyoming said…

    Girrrrl . . .don't do it. They'll slip you a mickey to be sure and then you'll be all, "Scientology is an advance religion. Have you been audited?"

    Tolerance does not mean non-judgemental. You can judge something as wack and still be a tolerant person.

    If you want to read a great piece on Scientology try the new US magazine called Radar (I have no idea how to italicize in these comments so imagine it there). You'd probably really enjoy the mag anyway, McReadie, since you like TWOP. Same snarky take on popular culture but it include politics as well.

    You might also enjoy their little blurb on that nutcase running (ruining?) California. It's called:

    Oy-Vey Maria

    http://www.radaronline.com/fresh-intelligence/index.php

    I have no idea how to make those little blue links either. Any instruction you might offer would be most welcome.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger memarian said…

    Hi there,

    I guess if Scientologists were able to put one and a half ideas together in the "front" of their minds (since they do not use the back of their minds often), they would simply not be Scientologists... I read a couple of books one of them gave me, and saw some tapes on the Congresses, and last but not least, I attended three of their meetings. All I was able to see - as evident proof of reality - was people in delirium... sad, pretty sad. Furthermore, if you do not agree with their views, they consider you an "over product" and blah, blah, blah... It always amazed me the hasty way they "analyzed and diagnosed" people!

    Oh, yep, they are some superior race, I forgot... :-)

    And, yes - I'm afraid I agree with you about the cossa nostra stuff... That's pretty scary indeed, I lost a friend to Scientology, who's not only been brainwashed 100%, but also acts like a freaky mobster now.

    Hope life will enlighten him one day and he'll get back in touch with reality.

    All the best!

    Marian

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger memarian said…

    Hi there,

    I guess if Scientologists were able to put one and a half ideas together in the "front" of their minds (since they do not use the back of their minds often), they would simply not be Scientologists... I read a couple of books one of them gave me, and saw some tapes on the Congresses, and last but not least, I attended three of their meetings. All I was able to see - as evident proof of reality - was people in delirium... sad, pretty sad. Furthermore, if you do not agree with their views, they consider you an "over product" and blah, blah, blah... It always amazed me the hasty way they "analyzed and diagnosed" people!

    Oh, yep, they are some superior race, I forgot... :-)

    And, yes - I'm afraid I agree with you about the cossa nostra stuff... That's pretty scary indeed, I lost a friend to Scientology, who's not only been brainwashed 100%, but also acts like a freaky mobster now.

    Hope life will enlighten him one day and he'll get back in touch with reality.

    All the best!

    Marian

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise