logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Monday, January 23, 2006

Stick With Your Instincts

Traditionally, I do not make New Year's Resolutions. I always felt they were somewhat futile: it seemed an artificial time at which to decide on a new way in which to live. I suspect I partly felt this because of my anxiety of a new year (don't ask) but I do also feel it's a valid point: I liked to think that, if a resolution was to be made, I could make it at any time I wanted. Indeed, I liked to think that my life was a string of occasional resolutions (I was probably deluding myself with that thought, by the way).

This year, however, is different. It has been clear to me for a while that my diet could be improved. In a rather obsessional and defensive manner, I tell myself that my diet is not all that awful - and I'm sure it isn't, in comparison to some people's. That said, I also feel it's not as good as it could be. The problem, I think, is that I don't tend to eat things in moderation. I tend to eat the same meal for lunch and in the evening. And chocolate is a problem.

So, this year, I have written a list. It is stuck to the fridge with a magnet. It's a set of rules. The one that's bothering me the most is that chocolate is to be confined to weekends, with a maximum of three portions allowed - and a target of just two. This is tough. This weekend, I survived on just two tiny bars of chocolate. That is more or less unthinkable. Not least because the bastards at my local Somerfield seem to have decided to put a whole load of junk food that I would adore on Very Special Offer.

That said, I'm so far sticking to the new rules. My Mum asked me yesterday if I felt better for it.

The answer?

No.

I always knew these New Year's Resolutions were pointless.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:07 AM, Anonymous BB said…

    Perhaps you could find some healthy food to get addicted to. Then you could eat as much as you wanted :)

    Is that possible?

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Fizzwhizz said…

    My new year's resolution was to join a gym and go to it regularly. So far, I have stuck to it, and it does make me feel good, because actually I quite enjoy going to the gym (I know, I'm a freak, but I find it helps if you think of hte machines as Big Toys for Grown-Ups).
    But the woman who did my gym induction told me I shouldn't diet at the same time as joining the gym becuase that was too many goals all at once. I'm supposed to exercise regularly, get my metabolism up, and then start counting calories after a month or two.
    I made the mistake of telling my work colleagues this and now they keep giving me biscuits, because, apparently, 'my personal trainer specifically told me not to go on a diet'. Damn their eyes!
    I now cannot fit properly into ANY of my trousers. Things are getting desperate.

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    McReadie,

    Thanks for your blog on your recent OCD experience. I agree with you,we are all still in recovery. The great thing about you is that you are aware of what is going on and brave enough to do scary stuff like putting your shoes on your bed. A lot of people cant do that. Anxiety totally sucks. I have been dealing with it for 48 years. I really try to take it just one day at a time and feel blessed that it helps me understand what my patients go through.

    In America we have OCD and Anxiety Twelve Step support groups. I like them because I get to meet people going through the same thing as me and I feel a cameraderie with them. Do they have them where you are? Keep on Trucking Girl....Lisa P.

     
  • At 2:42 AM, Blogger Kit said…

    Ooooooooh chocolate is certainly my weakness, i feel your pain!, well dont on the two mini bars, and good luck =)

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Jo said…

    Hi McReadie,

    Recently I've been rather crap at replying to comments on time, so I'm sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you.

    I just wanted to thank you for all the support and good luck wishes over my recent drama with the DWP - your messages were much appreciated!

    How's the chocolate resolution going???

    Take Care,

    Jo
    XX

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise