logo

Google
WWW http://readie.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Couple of OCD-Related Things

First off, have discovered, via BB, the writings of Kit, another UK-based OCDer. Check it out.

Secondly, thanks to Lisa P for again checking in and leaving such kind comments. It's interesting you should mention OCD/Anxiety Twelve Step Groups, Lisa. I hadn't been previously aware of such organisations, but the minute I did a Google for "anxiety recovery" when I was writing that whole post about my first 2006 OCD Freakout, I came across them!

I was interested to see they existed - not least because it shows that others have the same feeling as I do (and, indeed, you do); that this is an illness from which we're in recovery rather than one from which we can be cured. How prevalent are such groups in the US? I have to admit I'm not aware of any existing over here, but that's not to say they don't!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Girl!
    In the U.S. The twelve step OCD/Anxiety groups have been around for a couple of years. I just started going myself. They are helpful because of the Twelve Step approach and belief in taking things one day at a time (one thing I never do!) Let go and Let god (hard for me also) and you have a group of people going through the same thing that you are. I don't feel like such an oddball because my friends act like "Just get over it." I don't think that we ever do, we just learn to manage it better which is just fine with me.They also have sponsors which is good. Check out AA and see if they can referr you to an OCD group. I also urge you to read anything from David Sedaris who also has OCD. He is really funny and honest about his stuff. I recommend the
    book Corduroy. By the way, Jon will do great at the oscars and I love David Letterman to! We have a lot in common. I love your blog!! Lisa P.

     
  • At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi McReadie!

    There are 12 steps programs for people with OCD and Anxiety in the US. You can contact AA or any major psych hospital to see if they can refer you.

    I like them because when I go there to deal with my own anxiety I don't feel weird and know that everybody is going through the same thing. ALso, they have a phone tree that you can call other people in the group. I also like the spirituality aspect. I personally don't think that anxiety is ever cured but during my 48 yr old life I have been able to manage it pretty well, although that I can have some severe reoccurences. But then who else doesn't have any baggage. Keep on writing about your anxiety and OCD, I love hearing your take on it. You really help me and other people. You should read David Sedaris's book "Corduroy" He is so funny and bright and talks about his own OCD. Keep on going girl!! Lisa

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

[ Registered ]

Listed on Blogwise